Friday, December 19, 2014

Orange and Olive Salad


Per Nana~
The recipe for this week was a simple salad made with sliced oranges, 
onions and olives. It is a combination of ingredients that I would never have
 thought to use together, but somehow it was refreshing. I only made a quarter 
of the recipe as I knew it would not go over well with Jim, and I was so right. 
I peeled and sliced the orange and drizzled oil on them, then I added the onions 
and topped with the olives. I used dried olives from the Italian deli, plus salt and 
pepper. I will admit, I was not overly excited. I do think the onions were too strong
 and perhaps if I had used a different olive oil, something more flavorful, it might
have been tastier. It certainly made a pretty presentation. 
Per Tricia~
Calling this a salad almost felt like a stretch, but one I was delighted to make. 
In the busy week before Christmas I was not looking for any challenging projects 
(Bûche de Noël, I am looking at you.....) and I can't tell you how happy I was
 to find out this recipe basically consisted of slicing an onion over some oranges. 
Never mind at all that we were then sprinkling on olives, olive oil, salt and 
pepper- this was EASY.  So easy in fact that the recipe could have asked me 
sprinkle just about anything on and I likely would have enjoyed it just for 
the simplicity alone. But guess what ? It was pretty darn fabulous. 
My husband kept saying that he couldn't believe how good the combo was. 
We like dishes that balance sweet and savory but this also balanced the
 crispy onion texture against the moist olives and oranges. It somehow just 
really, really worked. Once again, Mrs. Greenspan comes through.  
I used the Australian olive oil I splurged on at Williams Sonoma but 
unfortunately did not pick an adequate grocery store for my official "olive 
procurement"  trip and when they didn't have the Niçoise ones I just subbed 
out small black ones. Normally I enjoy the hunt for ingredients but I am
 a bit stingy in the "do over" category during holiday craziness. I know
 that the recipe will simply be that much better next time:)
 This is a very refreshing dish for the winter months and I plan 
on revisiting the recipe many times in the future.
I would just like to add that I have been enjoying the holiday card 
exchange with the Doristas (and Dorie !!) again this year and it has truly
 become a very special part of my holiday season. Each card has made
 me smile and the sentiment, not to mention any recipes shared, carried
with them bring exactly the joy that we hope to find during this season. 

Happy French Friday and Happy Holidays !

10 comments:

  1. I was all over the simplicity this week, but I'll stand with Nana on the final judgment on taste. I also made 1/4 the recipe because Howard was with Jim on the "will not try" list. Merry Christmas to both of you, and good luck with at buche de noel! Can't wait to see the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this so I have to jump into Tricia's camp on this one. Somehow I wasn't as weirded out as others about this combination. Maybe I was just so thrilled that it was a simple recipe (yes, Tricia, I am making the Buche de Noel this week-end - h-o-p-e-f-u-l-l-y) that I vowed to like it and did. It is pretty on the plate, just as you said, Ro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nana, I was not overly excited by this either. Tricia, glad you liked it - and thumbs up for using the Aussie olive oil! Merry Christmas ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad we all had a simple recipe this week, too! Merry Christmas to you both!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, Nana, sorry it wasn't a winner for you. I agree that a stronger olive oil does help the dish out with some more flavor complexity. Tricia-glad you all liked it! That olive oil looks yummy! Merry Christmas to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The simplicity of this salad was a winner for everyone this week! Everyone is so busy with the holidays. I agree with you Tricia…I loved this and will definitely be serving it again. Sorry this was not a winner for you, Nana. I also just made enough for me…I knew there was no way Bill would eat it! We do have some fussy men in our group, don’t we!
    Wishing you both a Blessed and Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I am so happy this one only involved minimal knife skills...

    I am tackling the buche on Thursday morning... Fingers crossed.

    Have a very Merry Christmas, ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only made enough for two and had it all myself. For some reason it was easier to picture the salad as part of breakfast or brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a pretty salad and I am glad that most of you liked it. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been loving the Christmas cards, too - looking forward to receiving the rest soon. Nana and Tricia, both your salads look amazing. I'm just sorry it wasn't a hit for you, Nana. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and here's to a great 2015!

    ReplyDelete